Monday, March 30, 2009

Amy Does a Week Without Toothpaste

I was cleaning the bathroom and organizing the toothpastes. For some reason, I decided to read the label.
Indications
Aids in the prevention of dental decay.


Warnings
Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years old. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.


Thinking about how I put this stuff into my mouth two or three times a day, every day, I became anxious. Am I slowly poisoning myself with toothpaste? I read on to the ingredients.

Active Ingredients: Sodium Monofluorophosphate (0.8%) (Anticavity Toothpaste)Inactive Ingredients: Sorbitol, Water, Hydrated Silica, PEG 32, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, SD Alcohol 38B, Sodium Bicarbonate, Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Blue 1, Yellow 10

Sodium Monofluorophosphate is a form of fluoride that is supposed to fight cavities. I will do more research on this.

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol. Should I be using a sugar to clean my teeth?

PEG 32 is an abrasive chemical binder.

Hydrated Silica is a form of sand used to be abrasive on my teeth.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is another chemical abrasive. I found that it is used in laboratories to irritate skin on test animals and humans so that they may then test healing agents to see how effective they are on the irritated skin.

These ingredients are scary to me. Chemicals are becoming scarier and scarier to me as I read more about them. Toothpaste is probably causing cancer. This week, I will test the effects of not using toothpaste when brushing, flossing and caring for my teeth. It is the end of the day and I am not noticing any foul smells or bad taste like I expected. My teeth don't feel dirty when my tongue touches them. My husband has agreed to be a bad breath meter for me. I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments: