I had a smoke before I went to bed last night. I brushed my teeth with just water. When i woke up this morning my mouth tasted terrible. After brushing with just water, I still had a bad taste in my mouth. That taste went away as soon as I started eating, but the bad taste came back just before lunch. I had to get a pack of gum on my way home when I stopped for gas. After chewing minty gum my mouth has tasted fresh all day. I'm wondering now if gum is just as useful as toothpaste. I didn't check the ingredients but I'm sure there are plenty of weird chemicals in the gum that are no good to my body if swallowed. I may end up driving myself crazy just thinking about the different chemicals I ingest all day long.